Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mandy Briner sends -

Dear Hyde Family,
I cannot even begin to tell you how saddened I am to hear about your loss. I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers throughout this difficult time. Gordon was the type of Captain I looked forward to flying with...always in a cheerful mood, team player, and all-around great guy. He definitely made the trips go by faster and always made me enjoy my job a little more because there were people like him with whom I got the pleasure of working with and getting to know. The generous gift your family is giving of organ donation will allow his legacy to live on. My father passed away while awaiting a heart transplant when I was a teenager, so I know those others families will truly appreciate your selfless gift of life. And I'm sure that the type of guy that Gordon was,...he would want it no other way as well.

Some memories that I have from flying with Gordon... First, and foremost, he was a FAMILY MAN!!!! He was constantly bragging about his kiddos and his "hot wife"!!! (And I'm a female FO!!) He often said he didn't know what he did to get so lucky to have Valerie. He especially liked the cruises that you often took together!! He absolutely ADORED his kids!!! I was always happy to see updated pictures on his iPhone. I also thought it was cute that he was "impressed" that his daughter was able to break his phone, since she was just a little thing, and he had dropped it several times without it ever breaking!!! I also found it funny that he was surprised that "an old married dad like him" actually had friend requests on Facebook, after he thought he should "check it out" since his sons were using the website. That's just the type of guy he was...an all-around humble great guy, dad, and husband. I was also quite impressed with his flight bag craftsmanship!!! I couldn't believe he was telling the truth when he said he purchased an actual cow hide and constructed that puppy from scratch!!! Definitely the only guy I know that has ever done that! Lastly, one of the funniest memories that I have of Gordon, which might also be sensored from the kids till they're older, is him showing the flight attendant and I the "............." video on YouTube on his iPhone!!! I don't know what was funnier,...the video, or the fact that Gordon got such a kick out of it!!! Not at all what I was expecting him to show us on the iPhone...too funny!! I, as well as all of the other SkyWest crewmembers, feel extremely fortunate to have gotten to know such a wonderful man. He always had a smile on his face and brightened everyone's days just a little more. He will truly be missed. We will all be thinking of your family during this terribly tough time.

My deepest sympathy,
Mandy Briner, ORD First Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment