Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Trece Smith sends -

You have had several postings from my husband, Bob Smith, but I wanted to express my thoughts on Captain Gordon Hyde! He will truly be missed and I am so sorry for your family's loss.
I thought I had a pretty good idea of just how smart Gordy was, although really I didn’t, so I asked him questions about computers as I would be needing to purchase one for the business my husband and I were starting. Gordy asked about specification for the software I was using and I gave him the info I had, which wasn’t much, only for him to take it upon himself to call the company directly to get the information needed to find the perfect computer. Only a few days later I had an email with this perfect computer, the one I am using to write this, that would not only more than handle what I needed, but was a great price too. And if that wasn’t enough help, he then spent time installing the software as well. And if that wasn’t enough, he was always a text away with answers to any of my questions. Of course his generosity continued on, as I find many are aware, with helping us purchase and install 2 more computers. He was my IT solutions expert in the shape of a good friend and neighbor, who never asked for anything to repay the time and help he provided. Over the course of the past year, he did attempt to teach me how to do some things on my own, but in the words of another in awe of Gordy, if you didn't get it the first time he showed you, you were SOL. I know I am one of the many “less skilled” than Gordon Hyde. Now, that is not to say that he would make anyone feel like they were really “less skilled”, but let’s face reality.
I also know how much he loved his family. My son Tyler is six and his first sleep over-at our house- was with Josh and Brad. I made French toast for breakfast and both boys chimed in “that’s how my dad makes it”. Three pieces later and it was obvious they really liked how their dad made it!
Not long after my husband, my son and I moved to Arizona, my car would not start. My husband was working out-of-state at the time and Gordy and another friend and neighbor, Jeremy, happened to notice I was in need of assistance. I did not really know Gordon at that point, but he happily & quite proud of himself for the diagnosis, determined I needed a new battery. Without even asking they both hopped in Gordy’s car and left to purchase me a battery. Upon their return, they quickly installed the battery so I could get to work. Neither of them would accept any kind of payment for the battery and seemed to enjoy just being able to help.
As I read through all the postings about Gordy, I am reminded of just how much he was a true angel here on earth. As many of these posting show, we all knew Gordy was a great friend and a very special person, but until putting all these pieces (everyone’s thoughts and memories of Gordy) together, it becomes obvious how truly wonderful he was. I believe he lived his life to the fullest and with no regrets. I am proud of him as a friend and can only imagine how proud his whole family, but especially his wife and children. Brad, Josh and Hailey, your dad was truly a hero and he was definitely one of mine!!
So, the only words of advice I can offer are these-“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” Marjorie Pay Hinckley I know that is what Gordon would want us all to do!
Trece Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment